[MD-AtLarge] Meeting Reminder and Minutes

nfbmdsm at gmail.com nfbmdsm at gmail.com
Mon Sep 14 14:08:16 UTC 2020

Hello all,

The next meeting of the NFBMD At-Large Chapter will be on Tuesday September
15. As usual, the national president's message begins at 7:30 and the
meeting will be from 8 to 9pm. We will be discussing our exciting concert
entitled Jamming with the At-Large Chapter: Music from Chuck Barry to the
Present. It will include pop rock, country, Christian rock, jazz, and more.
We will also discuss the upcoming state convention.

For your convenience, the call in number is 605-313-4818. The access code is
720125. Please read the August Minutes below.

At Large Chapter Meeting Minutes for August 18, 2020

The Presidential release was started at 7:31 PM

The meeting was started at 8:00 Pm by Marguerite Woods, President

There were approximately 20 Members on the call

Round Robin took place where everyone announced themselves and told one
thing that stood out to them about national convention

Marguerite lead the members in the NFB pledge

The NFB of Maryland State Convention will be held November 6th through 8th
and will be held virtually.

The Host chapters will be the At Large, Cumberland, and TLC.

Convention pre-registration is now open and closes on October 16, 2020.
Pre-registration is $20 per adult and free for kids.  Registration after
October 16, 2020 is $25 per adult and free for kids.  You may not be
eligible for door prizes, voting, and other convention aspects if you
register after October 16th.

Hard copy registration forms will be in your mailbox soon or visit
<about:blank> http://nfbmd.org/convention to register.

This year, our National Representative will be Pam Allen, President of the
National Federation of the Blind of Louisiana, Chairman and First Vice
President of the National Federation of the Blind Board of Directors, and
Executive Director of the Louisiana Center for the Blind.

Give 10

For every $10 you give enters you into a drawling to win a trip for two for
the 2021 cruise. This drawling begins August 15, 2020 goes until November1,
2020.  The drawling will be drawn on November 7th during the banquet.

Daniel is working on receiving a White Cane Awareness proclamation from
Washington County.  He reported that the county was excited and happy to
present to us.

Voting Information (the following information written below is directly from
Ronza's Minute Message that she sent out in early August)

Maryland plans to significantly reduce it is in-person early voting centers
and same-day voting sites.  As a result, individuals should plan to ensure
access to a voting location.  NFBMD encourages those who are able and who
are not in high-risk categories to vote in person if possible.  To find a
list of voting locations, visit the Maryland State Board of Elections
website at:  <about:blank> https://elections.maryland.gov/

As a result of previous litigation that NFBMD undertook, Maryland is
required to offer an accessible absentee voting system.  This enables the
blind to gain access to an accessible computer-based ballot using their
assistive technology.  The voter marks the ballot using the voter's computer
and then prints, signs, and mails in the ballot.

As of May 8, 2020, Maryland no longer uses the term Absentee Voting and
instead uses the phrases "Mail-in Voting" and "Mail-in Ballots."  To submit
a request for a Mail-in Ballot, visit:  <about:blank>
https://voterservices.elections.maryland.gov/OnlineVoterRegistration/Instruc
tionsStep1. You will have the option to choose to have a paper ballot mailed
to you or the link to an electronic ballot emailed to you.  You will need to
know the number on your Maryland State ID to request a Mail-in Ballot.

NFBMD urges everyone eligible to vote to do so.  Individuals not yet
registered to vote may do so online by visiting:  <about:blank>
https://voterservices.elections.maryland.gov/OnlineVoterRegistration/Instruc
tionsStep1.  Early voting runs from October 26 through November 2, 2020.

Blind Cruising (the following information written below is directly from
Ronza's Minute Message that she sent out in early August)

The National Federation of the Blind of Maryland will be hosting a cruise
fundraiser from September 19, 2021 to September 26, 2021.   The affiliate
will receive a portion of the cost of each cabin that is booked.  All are
welcome, including members of the NFBMD, other affiliates, families,
colleagues, and friends.  For additional information or to reserve your
cabin, please contact our travel agent, Cindy Kiper at  <about:blank>
kkiper at cruisesinc.com or 813-418-0647.

Details are as follows:

Ship: Carnival Pride

Date: September 19 - September 26, 2021

Port of Departure: Baltimore, Maryland

Number of nights: 7

Ports visited: Grand Turk, Turks, and Caicos; Half Moon Cay, Bahamas; and
Freeport, Bahamas

Key Dates:

-              First deposit due: Until All Cabins Booked or December 31,
2020 (whichever is earlier) = $25 per person

-              Second deposit due: April 15, 2021 - $250 per person plus
full names of sailors

-              Final payment due: June 1, 2021

Types and prices of cabins (this is a per person price based on double
occupancy and includes cabin fee, port charges, and taxes); we have a
limited number of cabins, so prices may change once our block is filled.

-              Balcony cabin (extended balcony) = $958.64 per person

-              Balcony cabin (standard balcony) = from $935.64 to $946.64
per person

-              interior cabin = From $727.64 to $737.64 per person

-              if anyone needs an Ocean View or triple or quad cabin, they
should let us know.

Note: Cabin types are going first come first serve, so please email to
inquire about availability.

We hope you will join us in 2021 on this incredible trip.

Respectively Submitted by Danielle Earl, Secretary

Sharon Maneki, Director of Legislation and Advocacy

410-715-9596

blindness is not what holds you back.