[Mdabs] Changing the World: How Can You Help?

Ellana Crew eemcrew at gmail.com
Thu Dec 14 00:39:09 UTC 2017

Good evening MDABS!

You may not know this, but every winter, the National Federation of the Blind takes to the halls of Washington DC to tell our nation’s legislators about the issues facing the blind of America and what they can do to help. This event is what we proudly call our Washington Seminar, and it is our yearly opportunity to meet our representatives in person and ask them to support what we do.

So how can you help?

With the Accessible Instructional Materials in Higher Education (AIM HIGH) Act at the forefront of our minds, there is a lot that we as students can do. If you have ever had accessibility troubles in the classroom like getting your textbook in the appropriate format, being told you can’t participate in a class because of your vision, or not having access to online materials, we want to hear from you. Alternatively, even if you have had a fantastic semester with easy, breezy accessibility experience, we also want to hear from you!

This coming Monday, December 18 at 7:30 p.m., we will be having a membership called all about Washington seminar, AIM HIGH, and what you can do to help. We will be talking about how you can write a letter to your representatives, what AIM HIGH even is, anyway, and all of the student activities that will be happening at Washington Seminar that we want you to be a part of. Every single one of us can make a difference, and we can help you be part of that change.

Again, the call will be at 7:30 p.m. this coming Monday, December 18. The phone number is 712-832-8330, and the access code is 9428489.

I look forward to seeing all of you there!

Ellana Crew, President
Maryland Association of Blind Students
443-758-7211
nfbmd.org/students
facebook.com/mdabs.federation
@MDABS_NFB

The Maryland Association of Blind Students knows that blindness is not the characteristic that defines you or your future. Every day we raise the expectations of blind students because low expectations create obstacles between blind students and our dreams. You can live the life you want; blindness is not what holds you back.