[Mi-abs] Update on MCB College Policy

Elizabeth lizmohnke at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 15 22:41:50 UTC 2010

Hello List,

Please forgive me for failing to include this list on the ever-continuing discussion about the proposed changes to the college policy with the Michigan Commission for the Blind. I have been busy advocating for the adoption of a solid policy that affords every opportunity for blind students to receive a college education. I have been writing and submitting emails to the committee email list as well as the Michigan affiliate email list, but I have failed to include those of you who may subscribe to the student email list, but not to the state affiliate email list. Please accept my apologies as I bring you up to date about what has been going on.

During the month of June, I conducted a brief survey to assess the quality of services college students are receiving from the Michigan Commission for the Blind. As a part of this survey, I gave college students the opportunity to voice their concerns about the proposed college policy without having to face the fear of losing services from the Michigan Commission for the Blind. Seven students participated in this survey, and I thank you for providing your feedback and comments. The feedback and comments you provided were collected and submitted to the review committee and placed on the Michigan Commission for the Blind website for everyone to read.

On Monday, June 21, 2010, there was a work group meeting held at the Michigan Works! Office in Lansing for all interested parties to come to the table and discuss the changes to the proposed college policy. During this meeting, the Committee Chair, Commissioner Geri Taeckens unveiled a draft of the policy that she decided to draft the night before the meeting. The group spent a considerable amount of time listing the assumptions we had about the policy review process, reading through the policy, debating whether or not the group should write a user-friendly handbook in addition to the policy, and discussing some of the various concerns people had about the policy as it was written. We have an audio recording of this meeting for anyone who might be interested in listening to it.

At the conclusion of this work group meeting, a smaller writing committee was formed to further discuss and revise the policy as it was written. This committee met for a phone conference about a week after the work group meeting, and we have a recording of this meeting as well for anyone who might be interested in listening to it.

On July 1, 2010, the draft policy was posted to the Michigan Commission for the Blind website for public comment. The deadline for submitting comments was originally set for today, but has been pushed back until noon on Monday, July 19, 2010. I have attached the July 1, 2010 draft to this message along with a new departmental financial needs form that they would like to use as a part of this policy. I have also attached an alternative policy that was revised and submitted on behalf of the National Federation of the Blind of Michigan to be considered for the June 21, 2010 group work meeting. If you would like to make any comments on these proposed policies, you can either send them to me, or you can send them directly to Commissioner Geri Taeckens, at geri.taeckens at isahealthfund.org.

The current deadline for submitting comments on the draft policy is Monday, July 19, 2010 by noon. All of these comments will be collected and a final draft of the policy will be submitted to the Michigan Commission for the Blind Board by August 1, 2010. This will ensure that the Commission Board will have enough time to read over all of the documents for the August 27, 2010 Michigan Commission for the Blind Board meeting where the college policy will be voted on by the members of the Commission Board. If I receive a copy of the final draft of the policy as it is presented to the Commission Board members, then I will be sure to pass it along to anyone who is interested in reading it.

One of the major differences between the policy that is currently being used and the proposed policy is the use of a new financial needs form which appears to look like a means test for services to college students. I am currently waiting to hear back from someone who has more expertise in this area to find out if this is indeed the case. If anyone would like a copy of the college policy that is currently being used by the Michigan Commission for the Blind or by the Michigan Rehabilitation Services, please let me know and I would be more than happy to share these documents with anyone who is interested in reading them.

I apologize for the long post, but I wanted to update those of you who may not be on our state affiliate email list about what has been going on in regards to this issue. Hopefully all of this makes sense. However, if you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask, and I will do my best to answer them.

Sincerely,
Elizabeth Mohnke