[Mn-abs] Semiannual Convention Letter

Jennifer Dunnam jennifer.dunnam at earthlink.net
Sat Mar 28 13:22:21 UTC 2009

Greetings:

Here is an e-mail version of the text of the letter you received in your mailbox.  Please send Sid a quick e-mail with your lunch reservations as indicated.

You are cordially invited to attend the 2009 semiannual convention, which will take place on Saturday, April 18, 2009 at our National Federation of the Blind of Minnesota headquarters building, 100 East 22nd Street in Minneapolis.  Please see below for lunch reservation information and other details.

The convention will come to order at 9:30 a.m. and adjourn at 5:00 p.m. You can count on a full day of interesting and useful information, interaction, and provocative discussion-all infused with our progressive and positive philosophy of blindness.  There will be speakers from within the Federation and from the larger community.  A wide variety of topics will be covered.  Here is just a sampling:

* Demonstrations of the "latest and greatest" assistive technology
* The upcoming national convention in Dallas, TX: How to Get There and What to Expect
* Commemoration of the bicentennial of the birth of Louis Braille
* What's happening in the Legislature, and what you can do to help
* Voices of our youth and our seniors
* Test your knowledge of NFB history, and learn something new
* Update from the Minnesota State Academy for the Blind
* Building our organization

We will hold our annual election of delegates to our national convention, and pledges to the tenBroek Fund will be called for.  Of course, we will hear about the exciting activities of our Federation Center, Blindness: Learning in New Dimensions (BLIND), Incorporated, and from all our grassroots chapters and divisions, which make us the strongest force for positive change in the lives of blind Minnesotans, as well as a major state affiliate in a strong nationwide movement.

Registration costs $5.00 and begins at 9:00.  Drawings for door prizes will take place throughout the day, and to be eligible to win one of these fabulous prizes, you must register.

The Minnesota Association of Blind Students will again offer an academic brown-bag lunch for $7.00.  The lunch helps to raise funds for our student division here in Minnesota and includes a sandwich, apple, chips, cookie, and soda.  Make reservations for your academic lunch by calling 612-872-9363 or sending an e-mail to sstarnes at blindinc.org.  Be sure to indicate which type of sandwich you would like, (turkey, ham, or corn beef), and whether you would like cheese or not.

This is the time of year to pay membership dues-you won't want to miss the chance to vote on our policies and in our elections.  You can take care of this when registering at the convention or by returning the enclosed slip with any needed changes (including your telephone number and e-mail address) and $5.00 in the enclosed envelope.  If you did not receive a slip and envelope with this letter, then your dues are already paid to June 1, 2010.

Please join us for the 2009 semiannual convention.  We need your energy and your ideas, and together we will continue to spread the truth about blindness and to forge a bright future for blind people of all ages, in our state and everywhere.