[nabs-l] Tips for DSS offices

Joe Orozco jsorozco at gmail.com
Sat Nov 1 18:14:00 UTC 2008

Dezman,

I think DSS offices can be effective if they're utilized correctly.  The way
I see it, if the funds are allocated, we may as well put them to work.  At
Catholic University my classes are taught off campus.  I found registering
with the office to be more trouble than it was worth, but my professors have
not made it a requirement to deal with them.  I guess if I could add one
tip, it would be to make registration voluntary.  I think the DSS office
should know the number of students with disabilities for statistics
purposes, but the students who need the assistance will be the ones who
independently seek them out.  Ideally, such an approach would relieve the
pressure of helping so many students and better position the office to help
those who truly need the resources.  Anyway, just my thoughts.

Joe Orozco

"Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity."--James M.
Barrie