[nabs-l] research methods

Hope Paulos hope.paulos at maine.edu
Thu Oct 30 17:37:33 UTC 2008

Hi Ashley.  There are also pdf to word converters out there that
are free.  I'm not sure right off the top of my head which one I
use, but if you google it, yll get lots of results.

Hopeand Beignet

<nabs-l at nfbnet.org
>Date sent: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 11:54:50 -0400
>Subject: Re: [nabs-l] research methods

>Corbb,

>I like your idea to read the first few paragraphs and last few
paragraphs of
>the article.  I've done that with a reader.  I know jaws can go
by paragraph
>in word as well.  I think I'll use your strategy of one document
>for each source.  My note files are big and then I often don't
know what
>notes came from wich source even though I label it on top before
writing.
>Its just that when reading further down in the document I forget
what source
>it is.  If its named at the top of the document maybe this will
help.

>I don't use Kurzweil but do have Openbook.  Is there a similar
feature in
>it?  If so how do you use it?  Many database files are in PDF.

>Ashley

If you
>> use Kurzweil, I open the articles in Adobe Reader, then print to
"KESI
>> Virtual Printer"--installed when you install K1000.  The page
numbers
>> then appear at the top or bottom of the Kurzweil pages, as those
are
>> printed on each page of the journal.  There's an option in K1000
>> "review" or "skim" or something like that -- basically it reads
the
>> first sentence of each paragraph.  I read the first few
paragraphs of

<serenacucco at verizon.net> wrote:
>>> I used the library data bases.  Proquest Direct and Ebscohost
are pretty
>>> accessible.  If the articles were relatively short, I read them
all the
>>> way
>>> through with Jaws, but if they were really long, I used readers.
The
>>> librarians often helped me find books.  That often helped, so I
wouldn't
>>> have to use readers for that.

>>> Serena

>>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Ashley Bramlett"