[nabs-l] Romanticisation of Blindness

Linda Stover liamskitten at gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 22:45:32 UTC 2009

Jim,

I don't think this is quite what people are referring to.  When
someone romanticizes blindness, they often make it look far easier to
be blind than it is.  A particularly overused clitche is to give the
blind individual special "superpowers" arising from their blindness.

For example, about five years ago, there was a movie produced called
Daredevil.  The protagonist of the film was a blind vidgulantee.  This
man, using only the senses of hearing/smell/touch could stalk
criminals across the rooftops of buildings in the dead of night, and
was a very accurate knifethrower seeing as he couldn't see his
targets.  This is the type of scenario people are referring to when
they speak of romanticizing blindness.  Hth
Courtney