[nabs-l] Pedestrian safety improvement act

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 24 17:59:44 UTC 2009

Hi Jim,
I am shocked you would not support legislation.  We need to hear cars for
our safety and independence.  Blind people use auditory cues to cross the
street.  There is simply no way around it.  I would not want to fear being
hit because I cannot hear half the cars as I cross the street.  Perhaps you
don't care because you have enough vision to drive.  I recall you saying you
comtemplated driving in a job because you wanted it so desperately.
You will put your safety at risk.  Sorry, I will not.  There is enough risk
in crossing because we are pedestrians and the environment favors
automobiles.  Let's not make it more dangerous by having many cars we cannot
hear.

we are not against the hybrid we are only saying there needs to be noise on
the car to hear it.
I care about the environment, but I also care about my safety.  I cannot be
independent if I am dead from a car crash.

You can have your own opinion but the national NFB, ACB, AFB and others will
fight for this bill so you are outnumbered.  Yes ACB is working on this.  We
are not working together with ACB but we actually agree on this one, that
silent cars are a safety hazard to the blind.
Ashley