[nabs-l] studying abroad advise

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 26 01:59:57 UTC 2009

One more thing:

If you're going on a relatively short group trip abroad, where
everyone in the group is going to the same places, staying in the same
hotels, etc. then it's not a problem to just stick with members of the
group, even if they're not close friends.

I went on a three-week trip to eastern Europe with some students from
my scholarship class whom I knew vaguely but not real well. Since I
didn't speak the language and wasn't a very confident traveler at the
time I walked around with other students in the group (or we'd break
up into small groups). I went with different people at different times
although after a while I did establish a regular group of sorts that I
spent most of my time with. Even though these people weren't close
friends it wasn't like I was a burden to them since they were just
going places they would go anyway and I was just following them. And
it was a great way to make friends!

So if you want to have a safer experience, agreeing to walk around
with at least one other person (even if it's not always the same
person) is a compromise. Again, there's no reason to bring someone
along just for that purpose.

Arielle