[nabs-l] Come to You or Go to It

Jessica Trask jess28 at samobile.net
Wed Feb 18 03:40:56 UTC 2009

Original message:
> One of the things that has always interested me is whether people have
> to go to resources and training or the resources and training come to
> them. Of course, some of us do not really have much of a choice,
> depending on what is available.  Just out of curiosity:
1. Did you go to:
 b. a public school for all of your education

> If you could do it over again, which would you prefer? No, but, I've
> also adapted very well to my visual impairment. At the school for the
> Blind I could have went to if my mom wanted me to I would have been one
> of the highest functioning visually impaired students there.  Note this
> the school for the blind  that referee to in the in the Second and
> Third questions was the one that I would have attended had my mom gone
> that route after we moved to West Valley City Utah where I finished my
> last two years of public high school.

 2. Same question for mobility training
Firstly, I had the opportunity to attend a summer camp at the Utah
School for the Blind in Utah organized at the time by the outreach
director of the school for the Blind where I first got introduced to
Orientation and Mobility. That being said I didn't start getting O&M
training until I was a Sophomore in high school because they didn't
feel that I really needed it until then. I like to say that it a
strange way that was like the right of passage for me because it was
teaching me to be an independent traveler in much the same way that my
fully-sighted friends were getting their drivers licenses. No, I
wouldn't have changed this.

 3. Same question for life skills (cooking, cleaning, etc) Once again
it comes to summer camp that I mentioned in the above answer because
the way the summer camp was designed was so that that the Blind and
Visually Impaired students who especially got the outreach services
during the regular school year. This is where we learned the adaptive
techniques for cooking and cleaning and many other things. Also, I
attended when I was 21 years old the General Blindness skills training
at the Division of Services for the Blind and VIsually Impaired in Salt
Lake City,Utah. Note this training program is now being run by a fellow
federationist.

--
Jessica Trask
www. samobile.net/users/jess28