[nabs-l] Blind Guy on American Idol

Antonio M. Guimaraes iamantonio at cox.net
Mon Jan 19 02:26:16 UTC 2009

Hi David,

You said

"I don't think we should be so quick to judge this individual... First off,
we really don't know much about his background in terms of how much
interaction he had with other blind individuals and role models."

I will not judge this Idol contestant based on how much role model
experience he's had. If he sings well, and is personable, and
entertainment-worthy, he deserves all the success. If his voice isn't very
strong, and is below the grade of his other idol peers, then he might be
voted off. That is unless the blind community bands together in a national
campaign to keep him on for as long as possible.

He'll need more than a sad story to convince the voting public he deserves
their vote. And if and when he goes off the show, I hope he does so with
grace, and sportsmenship.

Antonio Guimaraes