[nabs-l] Humor and Blindness Revelations

Juan Carlos Munoz blinddrummer1989 at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 6 04:20:53 UTC 2009

Yes, Arielle, I use humor all the time around sighted friends, occasionally with teachers, breaking the ice meeting new people, when asking for directions from strangers, etc. I can't say which jokes would be most effective, as I feel you have to look at each individual situation differently to get the best results, but humor, even if used a little, is what gets me through most things. Often it's what makes people see that you have character, and they'll start seeing you differently. I always here comedians talking about how if you're going to make it in stand-up, you have to be willing to make fun of yourself and your past experiences because that's where you'll get your best material. That doesn't mean go into the professor's office rattling off one-liners for everything they tell you, but just incorporate a little something about you as the conversation rolls along.

Juan