[nabs-l] establishing expectations

Jim Reed jim275_2 at yahoo.com
Fri May 1 18:00:11 UTC 2009

Hello all,

First, Sorry about the subject title; I'm not really sure how to classify this question.

Here goes:
When you meet a new person (either in your personal or proffessional life), and you expect to have multiple encounters/interactions with this person, how do you approach letting this person know what to expect from you? In other words, to compensate for my blindness, I have developed certian behavioral tendancies that may seem odd to the "normal" person (dragging a hand along the wall, and following people (rather than walking next to them). Also, there are the blindness-related accidents (running into someone, running into furniture etc).

This may not be an issue for those of you carrying a big white stick, but for those of use who don't, I'm sure society views our behaviors as odd, or worse yet, as drunk. So, my question is, how do you explain these behaviors to a new boss, colleegue, or friend, so that they understand what is going on, and dont become offended, confused, or "weirded out" by your actions? Or do you even bother to explain at all?

I generally don't bother to explain these things when I meet new people, but sometimes I wonder how many possible friends I have lost as a result of them not understanding whats going on.

Thanks,
Jim

"Ignorance killed the cat; curiosity was framed."