[nabs-l] H1N1 Message for Communities

Sarah Jevnikar sarah.jevnikar at utoronto.ca
Mon May 4 18:06:15 UTC 2009

All of these precautions are things we should be doing anyway, to prevent
such simple things as the common cold or seasonal flue. While I appreciate
the seriousness of the matter, we must also think that there are several
other pandemics which few in North America are concerning themselves with.
Does anyone remember the thousands that died of cholera in Zimbabwe?
Consider that 150 children die of diarrhea every 20 minutes. And how many
people worldwide suffer from HIV-AIDS? It's in the millions or more. Any
human life lost for any reason is a tragedy, but I think we need to put this
thing into proper perspective. Imagine how many lives could be saved by just
creating proper sanitation systems worldwide, or by giving people access to
clean water.
Again, I don't want to belittle this near-pandemic, but I think we North
Americans would do well to look beyond our borders to help those in greater
need than ourselves.
Sarah