[nabs-l] Training: As needed, or all at once?

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Tue May 12 01:27:08 UTC 2009

Hi Jess,

Most state centers don't require sleepshades.  For instance the rehab center
in Richmond VA does not.  But nfb centers do.  How long did you stay at the
center?
Were you able to pick the classes you wanted?
What classes did you have?
At our state run center in VA they evaluate you and make recommendations on
what you need.  You and the staff pick what classes you need.  They teach
low vision and nonvisual skills.  In computer class you can use screen
magnification or screen readers or both.  Some might learn how to use a CCTV
and braille.  It really depends on the person's needs and abilities and how
much you want to learn.
Also most individuals there have multiple challenges so they don't have a
set program for every client.

NFB centers have a set pack of classes and its all nonvisual.

My thinking is that since Jim has so much usable vision he does not need all
the skills of blindness.  A state run center may better suit his needs since
you can choose what you want out of it.  Jim, if you have a state run
center, go look at it and see its offerings and the staff attitude.  Some
state centers are better than others.  Actually the center in Richmond is
run by a federationist and has been so for about a year.  Students are
highly encouraged to use ridgid nfb canes.  But sleepshades are still
optional.
Our center is pretty decent in my opinion.  There is a pool on center
grounds next to the lounge.  Nothing is forced on students after class.  But
they are encouraged to participate in recreational activities on site or in
the community.  So they are exposed to many normal, fun activities after
class to show one can have a full and happy life being blind.

Ashley