[nabs-l] learning independent living

Jedi loneblindjedi at samobile.net
Tue May 26 00:31:43 UTC 2009

Ashley,

To answer your questions, I provide the following.

I was born blind with some residual vision. For that reason, my mother
used to say that she didn't raise me like a sighted child, nor did she
raise me as a blind child. I don't know exactly what she means when she
says that except perhaps that she didn't think some opportunities for
the sighted were appropriate to me and that I should be expected to do
the same things sighted kids do (go to school, clean my room, that kind
of thing).

All that said, I was expected to clean my room, do the dishes, and rake
the lawn. However, I had to figure out how to do my laundry, cook
simple foods, etc. Most of the time, I used low vision devices to do
these things which made them possible but terribly inefficient. I never
got much in the way of living skills training, either. Most I got came
from the school for the blind's summer camps and the like. most
professionals figured I was "high functioning." I gathered that "high
functioning" meant "has a lot of vision." As I grew to understand the
"sight is might" philosophy and its affects on my life, I took off to
training at LCB and learned all I already knew and then some all under
blindfold. I'm not sorry I did it.

Respectfully,
Jedi