[nabs-l] learning independent living

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Tue May 26 02:19:25 UTC 2009

Christina,
That's unfortunate the center graduated you too fast; you're probably not
alone in being frustrated.
Wich state is this?  In our state the state run rehab center in richmond Va
tries to meet client needs all at once by offering  different classes,
changing schedules as you master skills and no longer need the class, doing
evaluations periodically and more.
I never got the impression they push students out before they're ready.  If
a client needs to come back they are allowed to if they can justify they
really need it and have specific goals.  There is a limited space at the
center so they rather you not come back but you can if needed.

If you want to go back you have a right to as part of informed choice for
your rehab/vocational goals.
Why would you be too old?  Doesn't make sense to me.  Our center takes
clients of all ages from 18 and over.
I hope it works out.
I agree you should be allowed to go back to the center.  Also them telling
you just to settle for
an instructor coming to your home to show you more isn't acceptable.
I tried that.  The rehab teachers could not come enough to meet my needs due
to a large client caseload.

Consider outside centers
such as Cleveland sight center or nfb centers.  Cleveland sight center has
apartment style living and seems to individualize their program.
I've met people who went there and they say it was good.

Ashley