[nabs-l] National Scholarship

Corbb O'Connor corbbo at gmail.com
Sun May 31 23:45:15 UTC 2009

Jim,

These are big questions that you raise about requiring scholarship
recipients to attend the national convention.

I won a National Scholarship in 2006 and will be a tenBroek Fellow
this year (winning a scholarship for a second time). Requesting time
off work can be difficult and daunting, but all supervisors that I
have had for summer internships or employment have had no problem with
me taking leave for the week of convention. I suppose that may stem
from the way that I approach them, talking about my involvement with
the NFB, the programs that we sponsor, and how it impacts the lives of
many blind people to see other successful blind people not only at
convention but throughout the year too.

The scholarship is more than a check. As you point out, recipients are
required to attend our entire convention. Recipients are invited --
and sponsored -- to attend Washington Seminar as well as a leadership
event the preceding weekend just for scholarship alumni at the
National Center. You see, the scholarship is merely a point of entry
for students into an organization that can help them change their
outlook on their life as a student, a professional, and as a person.

I don't know if you have been to a convention before, but the
networking opportunities at those conventions can be extremely helpful
for finding employment, advice, and friendship. People say that
conventions change their lives because of the people they meet and the
ideas they learn.

So do I agree that students should be required to attend the
convention to receive a scholarship? Whole-heartedly yes. Might it be
challenging to take a leave of absence -- not a vacation, for you will
be working full time at convention! -- on the busiest day of the year
for the National Park Service? Possibly. But you won't know unless you
ask. When you make that ask, don't frame it as you're going to pick up
a check and enjoy an expenses-paid trip to Detroit. You're going to a
convention to learn how to be a more successful and productive blind
person by networking with others. Only say that, though, if you truly
intend to work at convention to better yourself. You get out of
convention what you put in -- so sure, stay up late to meet people and
enjoy the hotel bar, but balance that with still being able to listen
to the general sessions to learn what others have done that has worked
for them.

I hope this answers your questions,
Corbb O'Connor, from Virginia