[nabs-l] Concerning Discussion boards on Blackboard

Dave Wright gymnastdave at sbcglobal.net
Wed Sep 2 06:06:16 UTC 2009

Since my last post to this thread, I've managed to find the following on
google which may help with accessing the discussion boards more
consistently.

http://java.sun.com/javase/technologies/accessibility/accessbridge/index.jsp

As I'm even now attempting to post a reply, my browser locks up when I
activate the "Reply" link.

After installing the Java access bridge, I still have no access to the
powerpoint presentations. I've been notified by sighted individuals that
there are buttons that I am unable to find after trying on 2 windows
machines: Windows XP Home and Windows 7, running IE8.

Thus far, I've attempted to gain access using JAWS10, System Access, and
Windoweyes 7.1.

My next course of action is to follow the steps presented on the following
page:

http://cats.cdl.edu/cats-kb-wiki/tips-for-students-using-jaws-with-blackboardwebct-ce6/vista-4\

http://www.cod.edu/it/blackboard/

http://www.blackboard.com/company/accessibility.aspx

http://hightech.redwoods.edu/accessibility/blackboard.htm

At this point, probably the most frustrating aspect of this search is that
none of this information was known by the UIC Disability Resource Center,
DRC.

All thoughts welcome.

The reply link when activated has a hard time keeping focus when accessed
with any known windows screenreader. I've realized that if I move my finger
around the trackpad for a while, eventually my finger will land on the
subject field, which when I left click on, causes the screenreader to again
track focus. At this point, I can tab to the field for the message body
where I paste in my reply text that I've had to type in a separate document.

Best Regards:
Dave Wright
Work Phone: 347-422-7085
Email: