[nabs-l] reading e-books on net library

Patricia bcsarah.fan at gmail.com
Mon Sep 14 14:50:17 UTC 2009

Hi everyone:

I was wondering if anyone has ever been successful reading books on netlibrary. My French course has an e-book available on netlibrary that I have to access, but it doesn't seem accessible to me as a JAWS user. I was able to search for the book, find it and go to view book online, and when I did that a new window opened called "online reader" with a PDF embedded and JAWS said "alert empty document - open parent document button" which I knew meant that this book was an image. I proceeded to save what I thought was the book, open it in Kurzweil and convert it to text, only to find that what I had actually converted was the front cover only. I then asked for sighted assistance and found out that yes, indeed the whole book is there, but that you can only scroll through it one page at a time which i couldn't seem to get to work either. I did a Google search and found a site that talks about reading e-books with a screen reader, but this is using the Palm Reader, and I am not sure if this applies to books on netlibrary.

Any help on this would be much appreciated.

Patricia