[nabs-l] Java Programs

Arlene Chisley-Wade achisleywade at bellsouth.net
Thu Sep 17 16:28:39 UTC 2009

Hello NAB Students,

I am in the process of developing an accessible Java graphical user interface (GUI) for blind students using Java Swing and wanted to get some feedback. The program can be launched from your screen reader. I want to understand how to assist blind students most effectively in navigating graphical user interface. I need to get some insight from others who are blind in hoping to develop programs that will be useful. The programs will have very descriptive audio to aid in the navigation for blind users. By using an accessible Java framework the graphical components user interface is made available to the screen reader. If you are already using some other means to aid you with graphical components please share your process with me.

All information will be keep confidential, and no names will be used. Please email your comments to:

achisleywade at acm.org

Thanks in advance for your cooperation.

Arlene