[nabs-l] Social Stuff

Jedi loneblindjedi at samobile.net
Wed Sep 23 18:20:44 UTC 2009

Arielle,

Thanks for your public disclosure. Your experiences are actually quite
common for blind kids. I have a few theories as to why.

First of all, let me say that I was more or less int the same position.
I'd try to converse with kids about whatever interested me. Sometimes I
got lucky and found kids interested in the same things as me, and
sometimes not. But I was also thought of as argumentative by some,
outspoken by most, negative, and socially awkward. I felt like teachers
literally monitored my every move with keen interest. A lot of times,
I'd never know I'd done something "inappropriate" (in quotes) until the
head of my IEP team mentioned it. Most of the time, these
"inappropriate" actions were really no big deal and probably didn't
warrant the attention they got.

I think the real reason why blind kids find themselves in our situation
is twofold. First of all, the blind in general are expected to be
passive, and so people are totally put off when we're not. We seem over
the top when, in reality, we're no different from any other kid or
adult. Also, the fact that we're remarkably different doesn't help;
teachers and kids are more likely to notice our behaviors. Teachers are
even more notorious than kids because, after all, they're looking out
for our best interests, right? Bigger than that, there's also the
strong belief that blind people are socially awkward because we can't
see. We can't rely on visual cues to communicate. Most people don't
understand that nonverbal communication can be nonvisual. Special
educators and those who work with the blind literally have it drilled
into them that disabled people are socially disadvantaged and possibly
even awkward, especially the blind since we're so detached from
reality, we're egocentric because we can't physically see the presence
of others or objects in space, and we may even feel anxiety or a lack
of control because we don't know what's in our physical reality. No
joke, this stuff is actually in introductory special education texts as
recent as 2009. Add these factors together, and some blind kids are
bound for trouble.

If I could advise professionals in the field, I'd start by telling them
that what they think they know about blindness is probably not true.
I'd also tell them to get away from that intervension model they're so
fond of. Intervension generally means that you look for places where
you can intervene. And sometimes, things are best left alone or best
dealt with by natural consequences. You wiggle your butt on someone's
body, and you'll probably get slapped. That kind of thing. I know that
growing up, teachers couldn't figure out why I was so miserable. Could
it be because they were constantly on my ass about stupid things that
my peers probably did too?

As to the eye pressing thing, I have a friend who has a theory that eye
pressing might actually be a way of relieving pain or pressure in the
eyes. I'd be interested to know if this is so. As to rocking and other
similar behaviors, I'm not a fan of the sensory stimulous model. I
think that sighted people do weird things like that, too. The only
difference is that they know what weird behaviors are acceptable and
which one's aren't. Since we can't see what other ticks people have, we
just make up our own.

That's just my two cents.

Respectfully,
Jedi