[nabs-l] Bulletin board software

Joseph C. Lininger jbahm at pcdesk.net
Thu Apr 22 17:00:48 UTC 2010

Good morning,
I have quoted parts of your message inline and responded to them. Just
as a heads up.

> 1. It is a hosted solution, but at the moment it looks like the host  is gonna be
> Dreamhost, so there's a lot of leeway for what I want to do with it.

I don't have much experience with that one. Most times when I've done
something like this, I've run it on a personal or company server so I
could install what ever I wanted. That being said, some hosting
companies offer message board software, wiki software, etc. etc. etc.
Some even let you install your own stuff if you want. We'll go with the
assumption this one either comes with something you can use, or will let
you install what ever you want to for the purposes of this discussion.

> 2. I'm looking ultimately for a discussion forum and possibly a wiki open to certain
> contributors to collect the best collective wisdom of the forums into a more easily
> searched manner.  Integration here isn't critical, but I wouldn't mind if it were
> present certainly.

I'll give you some information for each function you want, then suggest
a couple that might work if you want a solution that can do both.

Ok, first, wiki software. There are tons of them. If you want a Python
based solution, which I'm gathering you don't based on your previous
message, MoinMoin is probably the most popular. If you want a PHP based
solution, you can look at MediaWiki, which is the software wikipedia
uses. There is also dokuWiki if you'd like something simpler. See below
though because I suggest a couple others which integrate forums.

AS far as PHP based forum software, phpBB is a common solution. You
mentioned that people might make it inaccessible via graphics and that.
Well, phpBB doesn't allow imbedded content, and it doesn't look as
though it requires java script or anything like that. Most likely, at a
minimum the basic functions will work. If you don't like something, you
always have the option of customizing themes and that with it. Smilies
and that will probably be a problem no matter what solution you choose,
but perhaps you can administratively disable them if that's a concern.

There are two solutions which integrate Wiki and forum functions. The
first, IpbWiki is one you probably won't be able to use. It's wiki
software based on MediaWiki with integration with a forum software
package called Invision Power Board. Invision Power Board is a
propriatary program which you have to pay for. The second solution is
worth considering though. It's a PHP solution called TikiWiki. It's a
complete content management solution. Wiki and forums just happen to be
two of the functions it supports. I haven't used it myself, but it looks
as though it is kind of complex. However, if you want a completely
integrated solution written in PHP, it's worth looking at.

- --
Yes means no and no means yes. Delete all files [Y]?
Joseph C. Lininger, <jbahm at pcdesk.net>