[nabs-l] Single Room: Opinions

Arielle Silverman nabs.president at gmail.com
Sat Apr 24 17:07:05 UTC 2010

Hi Chelsea and all,

Don't get me started on this--when I was in college all the blind
students were urged to get single rooms, for similar reasons as what
you described. We were also urged to get the special
wheelchair-accessible rooms at the end of the hall so we could have
more space and our own bathroom. I ended up doing the single, but
insisted on having a normal room in the middle of the hall so I
wouldn't be so isolated from everyone else (not to mention appear more
disabled than I really am to all my floormates). In hindsight I don't
think having the single was bad, but it certainly wasn't necessary,
and I do wonder if I would have been more socially active had I had a
typical room with a roommate. I also had Braille books, but they
generally fit on one or two shelves on a typical shelving unit. I
think it depends on what equipment you will actually be bringing. I
think most college students have a computer and printer in their dorm
room, so if you bring a laptop or netbook (which takes up very little
space), a scanner/printer/copier (same size as a printer and works
just as well for scanning), and a Braille Note/Pac Mate (also tiny),
you should be fine. Unless you anticipate getting entire books in
Braille all at once, I don't think the Brailled chapters will take up
much extra space (remember, sighted students have several print books
too). I got my Braille books chapter-by-chapter, so I never had the
whole book in my room at once.

Finally, if you do decide to go the single room route, make sure
you're being assigned to a typical room on the same floor you would
normally. Residential life once tried to put me in a
wheelchair-accessible room on an all-guys' floor, which I suppose may
appeal to some women, but would have made social interaction very
awkward, to say the least. Use the communal bathrooms if your hall has
them and keep your door open and go to floor/dorm events if you want
to get to know your dormmates and be part of the group.

Arielle

--
Arielle Silverman
President, National Association of Blind Students
nabs.president at gmail.com
Website:
www.nabslink.org