[nabs-l] Single Room: Opinions

Katie Wang bunnykatie6 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 25 00:24:38 UTC 2010

Hi, Chelsea,
  I think this will depend a lot on the style and set-up of your dorm
as well as your personality. I had a single room during college, but
it was part of a suite (I shared a living room and bathroom with three
other girls), and it worked great for me. I did not feel socially
isolated, and I was able to enjoy some privacy and personal space that
most college students, blind or sighted, would appreciate. Since there
were a lot of single rooms in my dorm, I did not stand out in any
particular way with my peers. Although my computer equipment and
braille books would have probably fit comfortably in a regular double
room, having my own bedroom did mean that I could use a reader without
worrying about bothering my roommate, and it also allowed me to use my
Perkins brailler to do some of the more complicated math calculations.
Having said that, I think that  having a roommate simply works better
for some people than others, so if you shared a room with someone
before and would like to have the roommate experience again, your
blindness shouldn't keep you from the adventure (another blind student
at my college chose to have a double room and it worked well for him).
However, if you feel that having more privacy is important for you,
feel free to ask for a single. As others have mentioned, though, make
sure your room is not in a remote or "special" section of the dorm,
and definitely don't shy away from participating in dorm/floor social
events.
Hope this helps, and best of luck with the start of college!
   Katie