[nabs-l] BrailleNote Apex--Braille keyboard v. computer keyboard

clinton waterbury clinton.waterbury at gmail.com
Wed Apr 28 21:57:09 UTC 2010

I do have a couple of pros and cons to using either keyboard, but I'll start with the pros first.
1: you can type in grade 2 braille, but that's kinda obvious, but it works.
2: You are able to copy the dot combinations you need in nemeth code.
And now for the cons.
1: you can only type so fast on a braille keyboard, and it can sometimes be annoying if you are trying to keep up with an instructor while taking notes, and you end up missing a lot of things.
2: If You need to be able to type in for example, a back slash, you tend to have problems with that on a braille keyboard, as the dots coming up on the display are looking right but you can't really replicate the same pattern on the keyboard or the input comes up as gibberish in a file.
As far as the standard qwerty keyboard is concerned, you can type much faster on that than you can the braille keyboard.
The only con to the qwerty keyboard is that you are, of course, not able to type in braille unless you have braille keys turned on on the braille'note.