[nabs-l] Accessibility and Usability of the Main Facebook Site

Mary Fernandez trillian551 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 13 10:17:11 UTC 2010

Hello All,
I have for the majority of the time used the normal facebook site. I
recently changed to firefox and am using Jaws 9. I really find the
page not that difficult to navigate. For example, if I am putting in
my status that I'm going somewhere with someone, you just type in that
person's name and facebook will put in the link for you. To navigate
through your friends' status the page is divided into headings. With
I.e. there are short cuts using the alt key and assigned numbers to
get to your home, friends, profile, and so on. To chat with firefox
and i.e. you simply click on the chat button on the top of the page
and a list of your available friends will show at the bottom
immediately. You simply click on their name and chat away. i do like
chatting on i.e. better though. Overall, I think that facebook has
done an effort to become accessible, it's not perfect but it's
definitely not unusuable in other than the mobile site. The mobile
site is very bare and basic and so looking at hte normal site at first
might be overwhelming but I promise that if you sit down and really
familiarize yourself with it it'll become more doable. For me Jaws
never really lags on facebook, and that might actually be caused by
the browser or particular computer.
Hope that helps a little.
Mary F

--