[nabs-l] special schools versus mainstreaming

Christopher Wright chriswright11 at verizon.net
Tue Aug 17 11:29:55 UTC 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: Jonathan Mosen
To: announce at mushroomfm.com ; announce at mosenexplosion.com ; exploders at mosenexplosion.com
Sent: Tuesday, August 17, 2010 3:53 AM
Subject: This Week on Mosen and Minx, Special Schools versus Mainstreaming

It's another edition of Mosen and Minx, the show that's got the blind community talking.

This week, we want to get your perspective on special schools versus mainstreaming. Some people say that blind people have a better chance in life if they attend a special school for at least some of their education, where concentrated Braille instruction and instruction in alternative techniques is available. It's said that the resources simply don't exist for mainstreaming to work well, and too much time is spent by qualified teachers travelling to their various students.

Others say that people who attend special schools aren't as well able to function in the sighted world, and point to the dysfunctional family relationships created by young children living at school far away from their parents and siblings.'

We're interested in hearing your perspectives. Did you attend a mainstream school and were the resources there for you? If you attended a special school, do you think it gave you an advantage you wouldn't have received had you attended a mainstream school? And is there some sort of hybrid model where the best of both worlds can be achieved.

As always, this show only works if we hear from you, so we would be really pleased if you would listen to this show live, so you can call in with your views and respond to the opinions of others. You can do that by adding MosenAndMinx to Skype.

And join us live on http://www.MushroomFM.com on Tuesday at 8 PM Eastern, that's Wednesday at 0 UTC, noon in New Zealand, 10 AM in Eastern Australia. Julia and I look forward very much to hearing your thoughts and sharing experiences.