[nabs-l] update on dog training career. need help!

Joe Orozco jsorozco at gmail.com
Tue Aug 17 15:02:22 UTC 2010

Valerie,

I don't know that anyone has specifically ruled out the need for sighted
assistance when it comes to dog training.  For my part at least, I believe
it is essential during the training phase to learn alternative techniques
alongside an instructor to learn how to deal with varying situations when
you're finally out on your own.  We're speaking of aggression as though this
temperament is isolated, but it's been my experience that aggressive
behavior is only one manifestation of hyperactive behavior.  An overly
excited dog is just as likely to accidentally pounce as one that is simply
pissed off, and the reality is that if you're called out to a person's house
to train their canine, it's not going to be because the canine is a sweet,
easygoing animal.  Otherwise, they would have probably been able to carry
out the training themselves.

The most recent example of a time I dealt with an aggressive dog was with
the handling of my own pit-bull.  She flounced into my home believing she
would be the natural alpha in our household.  If she was sleeping and you
accidentally nudged her, she would wake up snapping.  If you took away the
toy she was chewing on, she would growl menacingly.  If a strange dog came
walking past her line of sight, she would nearly choke herself in her
attempt to lunge.  Every so often I still need to have a heart to heart to
remind her of her place in this chain, but for the most part she's been
tamed and is okay with mingling in public.  This is not to say it was an
easy task.  I used to grab her muzzle and shake her head just firm enough to
catch her attention when she would hit the peak of her tantrums.  I would
wrestle her to the ground and pin her with one hand until she learned to lie
still.  We experimented with a few other strategies I'd read about, not all
of them professional, but I never had to physically abuse her to make her
understand I would always be the authority figure above her.  I think deep
inside she feels as though she is still the alpha and only allows me to
think differently.  Regardless, she's a great animal.

Honestly, I think confidence is probably the key ingredient in dog training.
People who do not own or who have never worked with animals probably
underestimate the unique personalities of each animals.  They can read
humans better than we would think, and I know there are visual cues they
exhibit before attacking.  My own beast levers a concentrated, penetrating
glare before trying something stupid.  I can no longer pick up on this cue,
but we've gotten to know each other well enough not to have to solely rely
on visual indications.  In a training situation you will not have enough
time to become buddy-buddy with the canine in question, but I'm sure you'll
learn how to assert your alpha position early on to set the terms of how the
interaction is going to unravel.

With respect to confidence, I also think you need to be more confident in
yourself.  It seems as though you are going back and forth on how you want
to pursue your credentials.  Figure out which approach you want to take, and
then stick with it.  There is nothing wrong with expressing to the school
that you will need sighted assistance to familiarize yourself with
aggressive dog behavior.  But, ask it in a way that makes it clear to the
school that this is merely a supplemental dimension to your training, not an
essential one.  After all, they're looking for reasons to keep you out of
their program.  It's up to you to be like: "Look here, bitches.  I'm
applying to your program, and if I'm qualified, you're going to take me in,
because if you don't, I'm going to raise all kinds of hell seven ways to
Sunday."

I mean, have you already applied?  Have they already rejected you?  I hope
this is the case, because as long as this has not happen, and you're just
asking them questions about your eligibility, this is all hypothetical.
It's easier for them to tell you "no" without an application on hand.  If
you've already been rejected and you've already appealed the decision, then
we can talk about next steps.

Anyway, hope this helps,

Joe