[nabs-l] Use of Digital Voice Recorders in the Classroom

Katie Wang bunnykatie6 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 21 14:20:58 UTC 2010

Hi, Tina,
  I use an Olympus digital recorder, and it has worked very well for
me, but I have also heard lots of good things about the Victor Reader
Stream as a recording device. Because I'm more of a tactile rather
than auditory learner, I personally find it most beneficial to use my
voice recorder in combination with my braille note-taker. I try to
write down as much as possible during lecture and would refer to the
recording later for anything I'm not clear about.  While I recorded
most of my courses when I first started college, I soon found that my
braille notes are sufficient in most situations, and I did not have
the extra time to go back and listen to all of my recorded lectures,
so I  began to record only those courses in which I found note-taking
more difficult (foreign language classes or classes of a more visual
nature). Many of my professors also made their PowerPoint lecture
slides available for download after class, which served as a useful
study tool for me as well.
 I would encourage you to bring both of your recorder and braille
note-taker/laptop to class and figure out what works best for you. A
lot of this depends on your personal learning style and I'm sure you
will discover the note-taking solution that is most efficient for you
soon. good luck with the start of the semester!
   Katie