[nabs-l] Defining Excessively Helpful People and Interactions

Bill cassonw at gmail.com
Thu Aug 26 20:19:46 UTC 2010

Hi all,
I am going to disagree with the point about where are you trying to go. I
think it is a common question to ask of someone you are offering help to.
For example, when my campus is hosting students who are not from the school,
and I hear a group who is not quite sure where they are going, I ask them
where they are trying to go. If a sighted individual were to ask a lost
looking other sighted individual they would pose the question in the same
way. When I offer help to other blind individuals, say at convension or when
I was at a training center, again, the question was where are you trying to
go.I believe it doesn't have much to do with the person's belief if the
other can get there or not. The same applies for a sighted asking a blind,
or a blind asking a blind. Of course, we all prefer being asked if I would
like help rather than demanding information of me. Of course, sadly, we all
know that if a poor helpless blind person were to ask a superior sighted
person, who is lost, if I can help them, the answer is almost always no.

On the more relevant topic, I agree that there should be controls for
whether the sighted individual who goes through blind experiences is given
any training or shown techniques. As we all have heard before from the
sighted who think blindness is closing their eyes and trying to walk around
their own house is, I could never do it. whoever mentioned the grabbing has
probably the most notable point. I just returned from a cruise to mexico, I
think I was grabbed by people on average 10 times a day on the boat.
Honestly people, if my cane touches you, I am not going to fall over.

Well, that's my... a bit more than 2 cents, I hope your research goes well
Arielle.
Bill
Lewis & Clark '11