[nabs-l] Independence with a Price Tag

Joe Orozco jsorozco at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 17:53:06 UTC 2010

John,

That's the kind of feedback I'm trying to generate.  I don't know how much
it really costs to develop some of these products and do not want to
leverage criticism if it really costs a lot of money to design these
devices.  Braille, I understand, will require special expertise.  Yet, even
in this case one has to wonder about the cost after the initial release.  Is
it costing a lot because the engineering is complex, or is it costing a lot
because companies are being inefficient about how they are going about their
development?

The parts that make up a notetaker are not altogether unique ones.  Consider
the battery, for example.  We are talking about special products but not
special products with completely unique pieces.

And the Pac Mate?  It's applying an existing  screen reader to an existing
operating platform.  Is the price still justifiable?  You don't even get
built-in wi/fi, but Freedom Scientific thinks itself a hero for dropping the
price by a few hundred dollars and then making up just over half of that by
selling outdated wi/fi and bluetooth cards.

Is it justifiable for people to have to pay $900 for what is basically a
text-based GPS program?  It's not as though Sendero is developing the maps
for this thing!  A sighted person can pay $10 for GPS through their carrier.
It would take them seven and a half years to pay for what a blind person has
to pay in one cough.

I am in favor of blind people making some sacrifice to independently
purchase their own equipment.  Someone earlier made the observation that
sighted people have to pay twice as much for a vehicle.  To me, the two
expenses are irrelevant, because if you want to throw in independent living,
blind people have to set aside a certain percentage for readers, taxis and
public transportation.  There are far fewer people with salaries capable of
absorbing daily living and crucial technology, just as there are far fewer
employers capable of affording some of this crucial technology.  People
should not have to make a choice based on cost alone, and the real
difference to blind people is that for us technology is a necessity to
compete on equal footing.  It is not a luxury as it is for the sighted
public.

I am blessed to be in the position to pay for some of my technology needs.
I am even more appreciative of the companies who have made it their mission
to help blind people get jobs.  Still, I hate to come across e-mails from
people who could really benefit from the new technology but cannot do so
because it is too much beyond their financial means.  I'd like to do
something about it.  I don't want to make developers out to be the bad guys,
but based on the feedback I've been accumulating, there very clearly needs
to be a compromise that benefits consumers as consumers and not consumers as
clients of government agencies who can afford to pay for the totals these
companies put out.  I would like to take the issue to the developers
themselves, but before I do I would like to get a real feel for the people
who disagree and can give valid reasons for why the current price structures
for adaptive technology are reasonable.

Joe Orozco

"A man who wants to lead the orchestra must turn his back on the
crowd."--Max Lucado