[nabs-l] College Math / Algebra with a reader

Katie Wang bunnykatie6 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 3 22:40:36 UTC 2010

Hi, Nathan,
  I think it is generally pretty difficult to get math textbooks in
braille for college, as they are extremely expensive. However, I was a
statistics major in undergrad and my school was able to provide me
braille materials for my math classes, so it is definitely worth
checking with your disability support office as well as the state
rehab agency to see if either of them would be willing to pay and get
the books transcribed. I would also suggest searching for the books
you need on RFB&D, as negotiating your schedule with a reader can be
annoying. They don't record too many math books, but I have seen a few
calculus books on their catalog. You may also want to think about how
to complete and turn in your work; I did my assignments in braille and
dictate it to a student scribe to write it in print, but maybe there
is a more efficient way to do this. You are welcome to email me
off-list if you have more questions. Hope this helps!
   Katie