[nabs-l] Braille Vs Technology: is there room for only one intown?

Joe Orozco jsorozco at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 18:17:42 UTC 2010

Hello,

Before anything else, let me give my own examples of where Braille comes in
handy.  I use Braille to take notes during meetings if for no other reason
than Braille is a shorthand method that allows for quicker data capture.  I
also use Braille to deliver speeches.  It makes better sense to allow my
fingers to process my talking points and devote the balance of my attention
to gauge the mood of the audience.  On my spare time I use Braille to play
D&D.  My group moves at a fairly good clip, and for me it makes sense to be
able to quickly scan a character sheet than to have to search and retrieve
an electronic file while trying to keep track of everyone else's moves.
When it comes to nonfiction I also prefer Braille because I like to make
sure I retain the data and fully process the spelling of complex words,
perhaps the reason I choose Braille for standardized exams.  Braille comes
in handy when learning a new computer language, because the success of a
compilation can sometimes hang on the presence or absence of a single
quotation mark.  This all can be done electronically, but in my own personal
case, I find Braille to make things somehow more solid.

Two things:

First, the Braille I now use primarily comes from my own production.  I am
grateful for Web Braille for the books I can access on my notetaker, but
high school was the last time I had routine access to Braille resources.  It
is expensive to have things reproduced in Braille, and Braille books
themselves are bulky and cumbersome to carry around.  Notetakers are
ridiculously expensive.  If you are not a client of a rehabilitation agency
you have to rely on your income, but your own income may not necessarily be
enough to front the cost of a six thousand dollar unit.  You could invest in
a netbook and purchase a Braille display, but Braille displays are also sold
at a small fortune.

Second, it is difficult to make a case for Braille beyond high school
because there are alternatives.  People can record meetings and later use
software to convert the speech to text.  The mobile phone is slowly moving
into the center of our daily interactions.  Did anyone ten years ago suspect
we would be able to snap a picture of a printed page and read that document
using speech?  Mobile technology is becoming so pervasive that we have to
threaten to sue universities for using the currently inaccessible Kindle in
their classrooms to transmit instructional materials.  In other words, there
may have been a time when Braille was absolutely crucial, but that is the
question today, isn't it?  Crucial versus efficient, and how can you
possibly convince someone who does not see the benefits of Braille to use a
system they deem inefficient when compared to their mobile device?

But, fine, let us assume that I am completely wrong, that at the end of the
day I absolutely have to pick one side over another, and let us further
assume that the side I pick is Braille.  It was the ACB who successfully got
the Social Security Administration to provide their materials in Braille.
What are we as the NFB going to do to build off this momentum?  Should we
perhaps lead a national campaign to ensure that all restaurants have Braille
menus?  That cup lids be Brailed as McDonald's has been doing?  That all
doctor offices provide medical records in Braille?  That the manuals that
accompany every product I purchase be embossed?  Add to this the advantage
of Braille receipts, concert tickets, transit fare cards, ATM screens,
airport terminal monitors...  Of course you sense my sarcasm, but we cannot
completely seal the case for Braille until we improve the environment where
Braille would exist, because right or wrong, right now the bulk of Braille
is dominated by what the blind request versus what the public automatically
provides.  What is the overwhelming incentive for someone to learn Braille?

It is sad, I think, that the use of Braille may eventually come down to
something as commonplace as choosing between using the cane versus using a
dog to get around.  Yet, until we do something more compelling, or until we
take a different tone, people are going to weigh Braille with technology and
ultimately choose the most convenient of the two.  I do not think people who
do not read Braille should be offended by those of us who choose to use
Braille in our lives.  If they're offended, perhaps it is guilt, but on this
item I am strongly against a "take no prisoners" approach.  I also do not
take a literal interpretation of literacy, because as far as literacy is
concerned, you need to be able to read and write in a certain language, and
when people type they are using their understanding of letters and
punctuation of a language to convey a message.  It is not as though they are
talking into a microphone and allowing a program to string their sentences
for them, at least not in most cases.

So, in the meantime, I think perhaps our best approach might be to tell
people in a nicer way that there are benefits of Braille.  There is much to
be gained and nothing to lose from taking the time to learn a new method of
writing.  Let's get a pen pal thing going to help beginners appreciate the
benefits of Braille in an interactive manner.  I am not at all amused by
this harsh reality nonsense people are trotting out, because reality says
technology is the sweeter of the two choices.

Joe Orozco

"A man who wants to lead the orchestra must turn his back on the
crowd."--Max Lucado