[nabs-l] Am I the only one?Two Questions

Jen spiderweb1 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Mar 15 20:51:43 UTC 2010

1. Am I the only one who sometimes wishes he / she could see?

I am comfortable with my blindness and would not want to be sighted, but
still wonder and am fascinated by what things look like at times (for
new members, I have been blind since birth.)

Yesterday, I took my my to a River Dance concert for her birthday. I
loved the music but wanted to see the dancing that went with it as well.
It was hard to try to picture it based on the music...

2. I love / cling to procedural order in life - follow all steps, and
nothing can or will go wrong. I also try to make rules for everything
that won't change so everything is in a contained "box" in my mind out
of which it can't escape. I also find rules comforting so I don't have
to think and can just do something automatically. An example of such a
rule is "always take out your book in class [even if the professor isn't
using it that day.] If you do this, you will always be a good student.
If you don't, you are a bad student."

I know there are no guarantees for things but still cling to the
procedural mind set to keep my mental boxes of rules intact. Is being
overly procedure-oriented a "blindism" or something with which the
sighted struggle as well?

Thanks for your input.