[nabs-l] Am I the only one?Two Questions

Jedi loneblindjedi at samobile.net
Tue Mar 16 05:36:49 UTC 2010

Well, the sighted sometimes cling to procedure, too. I think clinging
to procedure is les a blindness thing and more a control freak thing.
I'm not specifically calling anyone a control freak, but it's
definitely evident that people who seek to have as much control in
their lives as possible are also those who feel the most out of control
or who feel that life is out of their control. I could see how
blindness might make some feel this way especially since we blind are
often taught that we have no power and/or no grasp of reality. Both are
nonsense.

As for me, I have some vision and can tell those of you wish none that
you're not missing as much as the sighted would have you believe. i
think Michael May puts it best in his seeeches related to have retained
some vision. Basically, he says that while having a little sight is a
convenience, that's all it is. Having sight does not get one a better
job or a better life circumstance. The only thing sight will really
gain any of us is normalcy or the ability to be invisible because we'd
be like everyone else for whom the world is made. This is neither good
or bad. It just is. As for me personally, I don't have a problem being
blind, and I don't have a problem with the possibility of losing more
sight, nor would I have a significant problem with gaining some other
disability. In any case, adjustment would certainly \be part of the
process, but human beins are certainly adaptable. When I weigh the
benefits of being a sighted person with the benefits of who I am now, I
think I'll take the latter as it's certainly true that I'd know none of
you had I been sighted, and no amount of visual affects will replace
the people and relationships I would miss.

Respectfully,
Jedi