[nabs-l] plane fares for Louisiana and Colorado

Elizabeth lizmohnke at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 20 23:30:18 UTC 2010

Hi Beth,

Please forgive me, but I have not had a chance to read through all of the messages regarding this topic. You can correct me if I am wrong, but based on this current thread, it sounds as though you are trying to decide which training center to visit with the possibility of becoming a student in the not so distant future. If that is the case, then perhaps you could visit both centers rather than just one of them. I understand this may not be possible for your individual situation, but I found this to be a tremendous help for me a few years ago when the cost of traveling was more affordable.

If you cannot afford to visit both centers, you could also try calling each center to see if you could speak with a current student about their current experiences at the training center. You could also ask to speak with recent graduates from the center. Sometimes the person who answers the phone when you call the center is a previous student, so you could ask them what they think of the training center as well.

Although the flight information provided in the previous post should not be the sole determining factor in your decision, I think it should be a part of it especially if you are considering any visits back home for the holidays. Another thing I think you should consider is the location of the training center. If you’re looking for some small town Southern charm, then perhaps Louisiana is the place for you. But if you would rather see some snow and breathe in some mountain air, then perhaps you should check out Colorado instead. Some people find bigger cities too much of a challenge while others may get bored easily in a small town with not as much to do.

In my opinion the basic skills and confidence you learn at either center is the same. They are just run by different people with different personalities and slightly different management styles. I have heard that Louisiana is a bit more strict while Colorado is a bit more laid back. But a lot of what you get out of a training center depends a lot on what you put into it. If you go into it with an open mind and the willingness to learn new things, then I think either center would work for you as long as you are also willing to put in all the hard work that is necessary to successfully complete the six to nine month program.

What I think sets NFB centers apart from most state run facilities is our philosophy about blindness. They are also well grounded in stable leadership that does not seem to change simply because the director decides to try something new that could be seen as controversial like what has recently happened here in Michigan.

Overall, I think the training you will receive will be similar no matter which training center you choose. And even though you are not brave enough to withstand the frigid cold winters of Minnesota, the ideas presented here could also be used for anyone who is thinking about attending Blind, Inc as well. I hope this gives you, or anyone else, some things to think about when trying to decide which NFB training center to attend. I’m sure the tomorrow’s conference call will provide more information, but here is something to get you started in the meantime.

Elizabeth