[nabs-l] Blindness and Identity

Jedi loneblindjedi at samobile.net
Mon Mar 29 02:20:51 UTC 2010

Since we are all intersections of identity in one way or another, maybe
the real mystery here is why we each choose certain parts of ourselves
to identify with more than others.

Alex, I would say that for me, blindness is an identity that formed as
a result of my being aware of social status differences between the
blind and sighted, and that identity was merged with how the NFB
defines blindness. Then from observing people in the NFB, I learned to
identify my blind self with strength, vigor, energy, history, and the
ability to do pretty well anything. Isn't that interesting? I think I'm
starting to develop a feminine identity that's based on the same
principles as a way of standing up in a world that is, as you've
pointing out, still mostly male-oriented.

Respectfully,
Jedi