[nabs-l] Sociaolizing Part2

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Wed May 12 17:05:31 UTC 2010

Gerardo,

Just like with Carrie's question, you need to decide based on the situation
and balance independence with help.

1. If you cannot cut food and you have no other disability you should take
time to learn.  Ask a friend to show you.  Is there someone you trust in
your nfb chapter that can show you privately and not gossip?  I could not do
this for years.  Finally a rehab teacher came to my home and one thing she
showed me was cutting food.  Would it be possible to get a teacher from the
department for the blind to help you do such tasks?  Also you may consider a
center if your skills overall need improvement.
For now just ask someone to cut your food up that's next to you.
Did you go away to college?  I wonder how you managed without someone there
to cut your food?

2. Regarding rides, yes do ask if you need it.  Your friends don't know your
needs;
they may not automatically ask; in other cultures that might be more the
case but not here.
Some close friends may offer you a ride though.  If you do ask for rides
offer something in return such as a meal or paying for gas.
Also have alternative modes of transit so your friends don't always have to
pick you up.  What is the public transit like?  Unfortunately in many areas
of America it has a lot to be desired.  Is there a door to door service for
people with disabilities?  Here its called metro access.
For short distances cabs are an option too.

I think getting help is alright but you need a way to do it more
independently because the same people will not always be there to help you.
For now I get a lot of rides from family because I'm at home.  When I have a
job I can afford to move out on my own.  But I also have the door to door
paratransit service, metro access.

Ashley