[nabs-l] Thoughts on the United lawsuit

Joe Orozco jsorozco at gmail.com
Thu Nov 4 02:32:07 UTC 2010

Heather,

Thanks.  I appreciate your taking a moment to explain things.  I don't know
that I totally agree with all of it, but your explanation helps put things
into perspective.

Marc,

I don't know the exact statistics for the unemployment rate.  I don't know
that the 75% is accurate either, but I think we can agree that the rate is
higher than average.  That being the case, I don't know that we can draw
links to the number of successful training graduates who find employment
without data to back up that hypothesis and would be equally interested in
figures to help us better understand the factors contributing to the
dilemma.

In terms of employment strategies, I've outlined a few in previous posts, so
forgive any repetition, but a few would include:

1. Seek government grant funding to reinstall Jobline.  It was a good
service for people who've yet to conquer the Internet.

2. Host a career fair during or around Washington Seminar.

3. Conduct in-service type seminars at corporations to enlighten human
resource departments on accommodations, etc.

4. Partner up with companies to host fellowships and internships.

The point is to highlight employment head-on.  If I had more time I would
flush these thoughts out a little.  I've thought about beginning a mentoring
network among fellow blind professionals so that we can create an open
channel into the places we work, a kind of guild though this may prove
difficult since such structures are arranged around specialties.  I'd just
like to see a more open dialogue with the various industries.  I suppose
there are special divisions for this purpose, but I've yet to see a division
outside of the rehab folks and maybe education where there is an active
network of people helping each other out.  If I'm wrong, I wish people would
be more public about it in our major publications like the Monitor.

Just a few thoughts while traveling, not using United. LOL

Joe