[nabs-l] Calling all blind friends, I need your help

Bridgit Pollpeter bpollpeter at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 4 19:49:55 UTC 2010

Fellow students,

I have enrolled in a stage makeup class for my spring semester.  The
instructor is strongly discouraging me from taking the class because it
will be too difficult and she does not know how to teach a blind
student.  I took another theatre class with the same instructor in which
they did not believe I could direct a scene as a blind person.  I stood
my ground and directed the scene, which turned out to be one of the
popular scenes in the class.  I wish to stand my ground again.

I already wear makeup on a regular basis, including eyeliner and
eyeshadow, so I know the basics of makeup application.  The concern is
that I will not be able to properly work on shading, and that I will not
know where my starting points are, or that I will be able to create
allusions such as age lines.  At the end of the semester, each student
must "transform" themselves and I will have no point of reference.

It is very difficult to know what will and will not work without being
in the situation, as well as figuring out what tricks can be used.  I
know this is possible, but it would help me if I could have concrete
explaniations of how things can be done.

I am asking for your help.  If anyone has suggestions or advice, please
let me know.  I know this instructor thinks this is more difficult than
perhaps it really is, but she is to sure of her own assumed
understanding of the situation to listen and allow me the opportunity to
discover the alternative methods possible.  Applying makeup is a visual
process, and the concerns are valid, to a point, but I know it can be
done.  Please help me.

Bridgit Pollpeter

Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.
Checked by AVG.