[nabs-l] Why are you even taking a bio lab?

Anita Adkins aadkins7 at verizon.net
Mon Nov 8 20:59:20 UTC 2010

I wanted to reply to voice my agreement on this issue.  Blind people can do
science.  Rather than focusing on how one can't do something, it may be a
better idea to think of how a particular task can be accomplished using the
five senses.  I think that when we automatically think of something as a
task that is accomplished by vision, we leave the other senses out, but if
we could think of the task and how to do it using all the senses, we are
more likely to realize it can be done in multiple ways.  Imagine if, before
the first microscope was invented, scientists said "Well, we can't cure
disease x; after all, we can't see it."  The microscope is an alternative
technique to vision, and it is one way of seeing what humans cannot.
Likewise, other tools can be used to "see" for us, such as a cane to inform
us about obstacles in front of us, or raised lines to help us visualize a
map.  So I say do science; ask a scribe to use a raised line drawing kit to
reproduce what he/she sees under the microscope in an enlarged version, ask
questions about movement, size, shape, color, etc.  Don't give up just
because it seems impossible.  Many people might be dead today if those who
uncovered the cures to some diseases them hadn't kept finding new ways to
discover information, such as microscopes, etc.  It is okay if you aren't
interested in science, but just because you may not be interested doesn't
mean you should discourage others.  All of us have different interests and
talents; that's what makes this world so interesting and enables us to
create a successful and productive society.  Just my two cents.  Anita