[nabs-l] Independent Travel At Crowded Major College Sporting Events

Josh Kennedy jkenn337 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 9 20:19:59 UTC 2010

Hi,

My opinion on it is this. If I were going to a baseball game in my home
town here first I'd get a cell phone even if it were a track-phone.
Around here I have to take either paratransit or cabs. I live in
Pensylvania by the way in the city of Reading.  So anyway I'd take a cab
there and go a bit early and maybe have someone give me a hand to my
seat at least the first few times until I knew the stadium well enough
to do it on my own. After I get my bachelors degree I'd like to take a
trip back to Florida eventually. While there I'll probably get sighted
help either that or by then I'll have a good sendero gps to guide me to
major attractions. The question sometimes that you have to ask yourself
is, do I want to spend most of my time trying to find the attraction I
wish to have fun at just because I want to be totally independent and on
my own, or do I in this instance want some sighted guide help so I can
quickly get to that favorite attraction in order to spend more time
there, get there early, etcetera?
When I go to church I usually go early. Its not that I don't like crowds
crowds are fine with me for me rather I mean. But I sit in the front.
why? primarily so I can be the first person to get communion and so I
don't have to count seats and remember where I was since its a farely
large church building. Either that or I sit in the very back or when I
have my son we go to the sound-proof nursery/parent/kids room so as not
to disturb other people and so he can play with other kids. Most of my
friends when I went to Kutztown University, a physical campus located in
Kutztown Pensylvania most of my friends there were other blind people
and others with various disabilities. I tried dating sighted people but
it just never worked out. My wife and I met or re-met there, got married
and we have a son but he is sighted. Most of the friends that I do have
from living around here in the city are people who I met in church.

Josh