[nabs-l] Need help with attending big game

V Nork ginisd at sbcglobal.net
Thu Nov 11 21:48:24 UTC 2010

Dear Keri and all, I have been following this thread carefully, since I am
in a similar situation with thinking through  with some trepidation a trip I
want to take alone   using my white cane  to a crowded concert in a small
San Diego Stadium with steep sides and lots of stairs.  And while I  am not
really a sports fan and would  probably not  ever be motivated to attend a
football game, I think there are similar challenges in  attending both your
game and my concert:   That is,  there likely will be lots of people,
stairs, and distracting unfamiliar sounds.    .The advice given you on the
list has   been wonderful and has also encouraged me to go to the concert
alone, a first for me.   I think in years past, I waited until I could find
someone who wanted to go to the same concert.  And so waiting, I have gone
to few concerts, yet I feel music and other forms of recreation obviously
enhance our studies in the academic area, just by giving us perspective and
a break.   , and there is no one right way to travel to your game, of
course.  I feel you will have a super time.  One tiny puzzle bit I offer
here is that the issue of crowds is that to me, just personally, crowds are
like huge rivers, with different currents going sometimes in different
directions.   So if you follow one group of people, they may be going not
toward the seats, but toward the restrooms, or a friend they just spotted,
or so on.  Also, with steps, I find I must be very alert to make sure my
cane finds the first step down or up as well as a railing, and a large,
noisy crowd with random shouts and laughter may distract momentarily and
break my concentration, possibly causing me to fall.  Now it is usually no
big deal if you miss the first step, but for instance with me, I have slight
balance problems and so it could be more serious.     But even though
someone may be very agile and steady on their feet, noise in an unfamiliar
area may be something that could cause a  distraction and miscue with
stairs, with a variety of results.  I think I would suggest  that once you
are in the stadium, you ask for an escort   from the stadium staff to take
you ,  to your seat up any steps or down any steps for that matter.   After
the game is over, I would try to have an escort from  either the stadium
staff or a fellow game goer who seems safe,  to escort  you from your seat
to the exit  or wherever your ride will be waiting.  Obviously, as many have
said, you want people around you as possible witnesses to deter wrong doers
or whatever, and to avoid waiting in darkness or isolation, forgive what may
be overkill in advice here.  Having an escort to and from your seat just
seems more relaxing for your first time, I think next time you will have
thought up a different strategy.  More will be revealed after your first
time.  I have had an adventure just reading this thread.  Best of luck, and
have a great birthday! Best, Ginnie.

Postscript:  If anyone has time, I would love to hear of any concert trips
taken alone with large crowds by anyone on the list. It would inspire me on
this concert going project.  Thanks.