[nabs-l] Independent Travel At Crowded MajorCollegeSporting Events

Kerri Kosten kerrik2006 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 12 06:48:15 UTC 2010

Hi All!

Okay, there may be a problem with my little plan lol...I don't know...

I go to a bar every week for karaoke. The bar gets very loud, crowded,
and obviously people drink...I do not but others do.

I am ashamed to admit this but until recently I had the bartenders or
a waitress help me to the restroom door because I was afraid of the
drunks.

I know a bar is not a stadium but tonight I really tried to simulate
the experience I may have at the stadium...instead of having anyone
follow me to make sure I made it or having someone who works there
help me when I went the wrong way I jumped up, grabbed my cane and
tried to just head for the bathroom myself...trying to blend into the
crowd and interacting with the people to see what kind of reaction I
would get and to try to sort of see how the drunks would be like.

The experience wasn't the best. I couldn't take two or three steps
without someone coming over, and grabbing my hand to try to help me.

I tried to be cheerful and say "I'm good" but it's sort of tricky to
get to the bathroom in this bar and so often I was gong the wrong way.
If the people would've just left me alone and let me explore I
could've found my way...but I could barely take three steps without
someone trying to help.

Also, once I got really turned around and was at the front door. I
didn't realize I was at the door however until someone opened it for
me thinking I was trying to go outside. I quickly backed away and said
"no I don't want to go outside."

Another time I had gotten up and was trying to weave my way through
the people and a guy asked in a sort of harsh voice "where you going
kid?" Quickly I said "the bathroom" he sort of directed me and luckily
I was in the right hallway and knew where to go and so very quickly
walked away...

But, I don't know how this whole finding my seat on my own thing will
go...I am thinking every time I take a step someone will be wanting to
help. Drunks like that one that said "where you going kid" kind of
scare me...I do look like a "kid" as I'm so tiny I look like I'm about
15...

First, how do you tell sighted people to leave you alone and let you
explore? I tried to say in a very cheerful voice "I'm good" but that
must've sounded very strange to the person when I was usually going
the wrong way. How do you tell them without being mean to leave you
alone? I don't want to push everyone away...but at the same time I
need room to explore if I am going to find my section on my own...

Also I did notice that the loud noise got me turned around a couple of
times like when I was at the front door and about to go outside which
was nowhere near the bathroom.

What do I do about any harsh/mean drunks who see me as a "kid" who
want to take advantage of me? The bar I was at is very small in
comparison to the stadium and there will be many many many more
people...many drunk, some not...

How is the best way to handle the not so friendly drunks and the fact
that I can't take two or three steps without people rushing to help.

Like I said...I don't want to push people away and end up getting
myself so lost/turned around that when I need help there is noone
around...but if I am going to do this I will need to explore...

I am just saying...I don't know if this will go as smoothly as I
thought...it doesn't seem as if I'll really have the room to just
wander around and explore...

And the types of people like that guy who said "where ya going kid"
kind of scare me...what do I do if I get into a sticky situation?

I know this bar is no real simulation to a stadium but it gave me the
experience of navigating with my cane in a crowd of people that were
drinking and having to interact with people I didn't know...

Thanks,

Kerri