[nabs-l] Coping with Graphs and Other Visual Representations of Data

Greg Aikens gpaikens at gmail.com
Sat Nov 20 02:50:38 UTC 2010

Hi Tina,
One of my favorite solutions for graphing on the fly is using a home-made screen board.  To make one you take a clipboard (or any flat board really) and cover one side with window screen.  Then you place the paper on the screen and someone can quickly sketch tactile diagrams by drawing with a crayon.  The drawings aren't nearly as nice as you will get with more high tech solutions, but it is extremely cheap, easy to use, and works well for graphs that aren't prepared ahead of time.  If you already have a reader, you could have them sketch the graphs as you go.

Another solution is using tactile graphics made on microcapsule or Swell paper.  This involves printing the diagram on special paper in black ink and then running it through a machine that heats up the paper.  When the paper is heated, the areas covered in ink become raised lines and the blank spaces do not.  I can't remember the name of the machine but we always used to call it a toaster.  This obviously requires access to the toaster, capsule paper which can get expensive, and someone to prepare the diagrams ahead of time.  These diagrams are much more durable and can provide more precise information.

There are other solutions as well but these are the two I have used the most in college.

I hope this info was helpful.

-Greg