[nabs-l] Coping with Graphs and Other Visual Representations ofData

Anita Adkins aadkins7 at verizon.net
Sat Nov 20 13:00:30 UTC 2010

First, the clipboard/screen idea that someone mentioned, an excellent idea,
is already created because I purchased it from The Braille Bookstore for
about 14 dollars, and so you can certainly create your own, or if you are
not talented in that department, you could also purchase it from
www.braillebookstore.com
Secondly, a tutor may be able to assist you in understanding graphs.  For
example, one kind of graph is called a line plot.  In this graph, there is a
horizontal line with numbers below it and x's above it.  Above each number
is a different number of x's.  So let's say you are working with a group of
students, and you are graphing how many brothers and sisters they have.  The
x's on the graph would then represent the number of people with the same
amount of siblings.  So if there are 5 x's above the number 2, then you
would know that 5 people in the classroom have 2 siblings.  What I am really
trying to tell you, then, is with a graph, to know how to read the data, you
can read your Math and make notes of what things represent, and you can also
request additional assistance.  I provided the example above just to give
you an example of a graph and how it is read, but there are many graphs.
Another graph might  be a pie chart, which looks like a circle.  If half of
the circle is blue, and blue represents the number of students who ride the
bus to school, then you know 50 percent, or half, of the students right the
bus to school.  Red might represent the number of students who walk, and
maybe only 1/4 of, or 25 percent of, this same circle is red, and so you
would know that 25 percent of students walked to school.  Usually, there is
a key to tell you what things represent, or you create the key if required
when you make up the graph.  The data comes from the type of problem you are
working with, therefore.  And, the graph displays this data based on what
kind of graph it is as in the two examples I have provided for you.  I hope
I have not confused you even more.  Anita