[nabs-l] dog v. cane

Nicole B. Torcolini at Home ntorcolini at wavecable.com
Mon Nov 22 04:00:53 UTC 2010

Everyone's opinion on this is going to differ, but here are the main points
that I have found.
I have found that travel is faster and smoother. To go around something with
a cane, you actually have to find it first. With a guide dog, you go around
the object without interacting with it. I like not having to swing my cane;
I find walking with the dog, just holding onto the harness handle more
relaxing. Some guide dogs are trained to avoid overhead obstacles which a
cane would not find. Most guide dogs can be taught to find things, such as
doors, elevators, and chairs. If you go to a place often enough and do a
particular action often enough, your dog sometimes helps you do that. For
example, in the dining hall in my dorm, I always sit in the same chair. My
guide dog will take me to the chair without me asking. She also knows that I
tire easily, or at least understands that I like to sit down often, so she
will show me benches along the way. I also find getting through crowds
easier with a guide dog.

Those are the mobility advantages, but I also find other advantages to
having a guide dog. It has been my experience that more people stop to chat
because of my guide dog. The guide dog is a wonderful companion. Sometimes,
when your having a bad day, your dog is enough to cheer you up.

As you said, though, good O.&M. skills come first. Sometimes, my guide dog
knows where we are going, and I don't have to tell her when to turn, but it
is always my responsibility to know where we are. If she gets us lost
because she turned when I was not paying attention, I cannot get mad at her
for getting us lost because I was the one not paying attention.