[nabs-l] dog v. cane

Sean Whalen smwhalenpsp at gmail.com
Tue Nov 23 18:57:55 UTC 2010

I agree with the vast majority of what has been said on this topic, and
completely agree that each has its benefits and drawbacks.

One thing I would like to point out, however, is that one can walk plenty
fast with a cane. This is especially true when you are walking to a
destination which you have found previously. And, honestly, many of the
places we all go are places we go on more than one occasion. A dog is
definitely quicker when you are not sure of the route you are taking or what
kinds of cues you are looking for, but once you know where you are going,
the cane can allow you to walk as quickly as anybody else. I will grant that
travel with a dog can appear more graceful, because you are able to navigate
obstacles without contacting them with a cane, but I disagree with the
thought that cane travel is necessarily slower. I can walk around familiar
parts of my city as quickly as anybody I know, dog user or sighted
individual.

This said, dogs are certainly faster at navigating through crowds or
cluttered areas, but, at least for me, the vast majority of my walking is
done down a sidewalk or the side of a road, where, as I say, a cane user can
walk as fast as anybody. And, the time I might give up in travel, I make up
for by not having to care for an animal, so there are two sides to the
efficiency argument as well.

All the best,

Sean