[nabs-l] dog v. cane

Ignasi Cambra ignasicambra at gmail.com
Thu Nov 25 08:12:53 UTC 2010

Hi,
I got my dog when I was 14, and it really worked for me. I'm just trying to give an example of a case where getting a dog was really a good option. I lived in a large city and took public transportation all the time to go back and forth from school. Also, I had to walk to several places every day which were 15 minutes away from home or so. From age 12 to 14 I basically did all that with the cane, and it was OK. But with the dog it became much faster. Especially in large cities I find that a dog is extremely useful because many things move or change every day. Sometimes there is construction going on, sometimes a tree falls...who knows. With the cane it takes time to figure all that out, but with the dog it's fairly easy and as long as one has a good sense of orientation things happen way faster.
When I came to college in the US three years ago the environment changed a lot, because instead of living in a large city I was in a college town, with many opened spaces etc. The dog doesn't seem to have any problem with that and things are still working well.

Ignasi